Three days ago I accidentally biked over 20 miles off course, putting my count for the day up past eighty. TOURING TIP #472: ALWAYS WATCH THE SIGNS!!!
That night the four of us slept under the stars in the Marin Headlands, right outside of San Francisco, and had a feast of tacos courtesy of two women the guys met earlier in a bar while waiting 2.5 hours for me to make my way back to the meeting place (Olema, Calif.). These women had ridden their horses into town for tequila and oysters, and they were VERY enthusiastic about our adventure. We received $20 for supper from one of them, because her son was "about your age and I'd like to think... well, don't feel icky about it, don't be freaked out or anything, just take it and think of me at exactly nine o'clock tonight we'll all think of each other..." (She was a bit drunk.)
Besides some sunburn and a much-needed 17 hours of sleep yesterday at Half-Moon Bay State Beach, my body continues to work like a precision machine. I am impressed with how much headwind, how many uphills and how little smooth ground for sleeping it can withstand. The experiment continues until June 23rd, with a week at the end for recovery and idleness in the City by The Bay!
Much love to everyone who is following my travels online. I think of you all on the long, flat stretches...I appreciate the encouragement and affection I've received from everyone.
No comments:
Post a Comment