Thursday, May 1, 2008

Training

Alex and I are taking long rides around Calgary's bike paths every other day. This Saturday we have our first full day 100k ride planned. On the 'off' days I do urban exploration, visiting friends, running errands (or rather, biking) and cruising by the river, clocking in about four solid hours of pedal pumping. After dark, I bike to the show or party du jour no matter where in the city it is. Before bed I have a stretching and weights routine for general strength and endurance. I'm considering becoming a jogger as well, because I find myself panting excessively on hills, but jogging is the worst. Everyone out running in the morning looks tortured, and those running at other times of the day evidently need a better hobby. Even after finishing top ten on the cross-country, sprint and hurdles teams year after year, I hate recreational running. It's painful, there is no ball or other players to work with and I can never go fast enough. Biking is probably the best way to train for a bike trip anyway.

No comments: