Monday, May 5, 2008

What to Take

Based on my camping experience and what I've gathered from tourers on the web and in my life, this is the master packing list I have compiled:

Clothes
T-shirts
Long sleeved shirt
Undershirts
Fleece sweater
Windbreaker/ rain coat
Padded biking shorts (see previous post)
Shorts
Long underwear/leggings
Rain pants
Wool socks, athletic socks
Gloves
Toque
Neck tube
Sunglasses
Bandana

Tools and Spare Parts
C-wrench
Spoke wrench
Scissors
Tape
Patch Kit
Multi-tool (With at least a Phillips, flathead and hex keys)
Tire Irons
Sewing Kit
Wet/Dry Lube
Air Pump
Inner tube
Tire
Brake pads
Spokes
Nuts & Bolts
Rope
Flashlight/headlamp

Camp Gear
Tent
Sleeping Bag
Sleeping Mat
Pillow (?)
Burner & Gas
Bowl
Cooking Pot
Sharp Knife
Fork & Spoon
Thermos
Water Bottles
Food Containers

Miscellaneous
Toothbrush & Paste
Toilet Paper
Notebook
Permanent Marker
Clothespins
Safety Pins
Z-Clip
Cell Phone
Vitamins
Lip Balm
Sunscreen
Insect Repellent
First Aid Kit
Ziplock Bags
Superglue
Emergency Snacks
Passport
Wallet
Hiking Boots
Bike Shoes
Batteries
Maps and Route Guides
Bike & Bag Lock
Camera (?)
Dish/Clothes/Body soap (all-in-one)
Moisturizer
Reflective Vest/ Straps
Book (?)


I've been working since April to hunt and gather these necessities. With only a week left, I'm still rounding up a few last things and trying to compact it all into my four panniers. That nagging "I've forgotten something!" feeling has been laid to rest... but if you see that something is missing please let me know!!

Packing is my favourite part of a trip. It's the culmination of months of preparing. If I was excited before, packing sends me into a fever pitch with anticipation!

Only seven days left! Another big ride tomorrow, and then a "dry" run with the camp setup over the weekend (we're hoping it rains so we'll be better prepared to pitch and strike a wet tent).





No comments: